Man who died in Sunday house fire identified

Posted: May 6, 2013

WINCHESTER — The man who died in a house fire Sunday afternoon on Woodstock Lane has been identified as 53-year-old David A. Moats.
 
Fire and rescue units responded to the blaze just after 1 p.m. Sunday at 926 Woodstock Lane.
 
The first unit on the scene reported fire coming from the windows of the front of the single story ranch style home.
 
According to a city media release — sent just before 5 p.m. Monday — the fire started unintentionally when an occupant of the home attempted to light a cigarette with a match while wearing home oxygen equipment.
 
“After the fire began the two surviving occupants evacuated the home, but David Moats was unable to escape before being overcome by smoke,” the release states.
 
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.
 
For more information about the fire, read Tuesday’s Winchester Star.
 
 
— Contact Melissa Boughton at mboughton@winchesterstar.com