16 apartments burn; blaze caused by child

Please login to view the requested resource.

Posted: August 31, 2013

The Winchester Star

City firefighter Rick Burton directs water on flames erupting on Friday from the roof of the Bellview Apartments. Two firefighters were slightly injured while battling the blaze, which displaced about 60 people. The fire was reported at 11:44 a.m. (Photo by Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star)
Evacuated Bellview Apartments residents watch as firefighters combat the flames.
A family boards a bus that took displaced tenants of the fire to a shelter in Winchester’s War Memorial Building. (Photo by Scott Mason/The Winchester Star)
Workers from several Winchester agencies, the Salvation Army and the American Red Cross gather on Bellview Avenue on Friday afternoon to coordinate aid for the families displaced by the apartment fire.
Firefighters prepare to leave the scene of the Bellview Apartments fire. (Photo by Scott Mason/The Winchester Star)

WINCHESTER — An apartment fire that displaced 20 families and injured two firefighters on Friday morning was caused by a 4-year-old playing with a cigarette lighter, according to city...



To See This and Every Local Story from The Winchester Star, Click Here to Become a Subscriber!

Login to view the full story