Family seeks answers in death

Posted: March 16, 2013

The Winchester Star

WINCHESTER — A local man is searching for answers after learning that his brother was shot and killed by police in Martinsburg, W.Va.

“We all feel that something’s just not right, and it’s not justified,” said Bruce Jones of Winchester.

Wayne Arnold Jones, 50, of Stephens City was pronounced dead at the scene after 11:45 p.m. Wednesday in the 100 block of South Queen Street, according to a Thursday media release from Martinsburg police.

After Jones fought with and fled police (who shot him twice with a Taser weapon to minimal effect), stabbed an officer in the torso and then refused to drop a knife, five officers fired multiple shots into him, according to the release.

The officers are on paid administrative leave while West Virginia State Police investigate the incident.

The officer that Jones allegedly stabbed sustained a minor wound that did not require medical attention, though the media release states that the knife penetrated his uniform and vest.

It remains unclear why Jones was initially stopped.

Police have not answered any questions or returned phone calls regarding the night’s events, including the type of knife Jones was allegedly wielding.

State Police spokesmen also refused to answer questions Friday about the investigation, referring calls to the Martinsburg police.

Bruce Jones said he was shocked by the news, and asked how five officers couldn’t gain control of a “150-pound, 50-year-old” man.

“I am questioning what happened,” he said.

Jones said he preferred to wait until family members arrived to answer any additional questions about his brother.

Jones’s death marks the third fatal police shooting in Martinsburg in less than two years.

Officers also shot and killed a woman who allegedly pointed a gun at them in December, and a man who allegedly carjacked a woman and her 4-year-old daughter in September 2011.

The Associated Press contributed some information for this report.

— Contact Melissa Boughton