Fire burns resident, guts house; pet saved

Posted: November 10, 2012

The Winchester Star

One occupant of a home at 675 White Oak Road near Stephens City was taken to Winchester Medical Center Friday after the home caught fire shortly before noon. (Photo by Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star)

STEPHENS CITY — One person was injured and a pet was revived during a house fire on White Oak Road Friday.

According to a Frederick County Fire and Rescue media release, a home at 675 White Oak Road — near Tasker Road — is a total loss after catching fire around noon.

The Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the cause of the fire was improper extinguishing of smoking materials.

Fire and rescue crews arrived at the scene just after noon and put out the blaze quickly, according to the release.

One occupant was taken to Winchester Medical Center for treatment of burns, and crews revived a pet that suffered from smoke inhalation.

Red Cross workers are assisting the occupants of the home, the release states.

Fire and Rescue units from Stephens City, Middletown, Millwood, Round Hill and Clear Brook, as well as Frederick County Battalion 10 duty officer and the Fire Marshal’s Office, responded to the blaze. Clarke County and Winchester fire and rescue crews assisted.

— Contact Melissa Boughton at mboughton@winchesterstar.com