Five displaced after Monday house fire

Posted: December 3, 2013

The Winchester Star

GAINESBORO — A family of five was displaced early Monday morning after a fire at a Frederick County home.

According to the local chapter of the American Red Cross, the organization is providing assistance to the family of three adults and two children.

A firefighter from Gainesboro Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company, who would not be named, said crews were called at about 6:15 a.m. to 5653 North Frederick Pike (U.S. 522), northwest of Winchester.

He said the chimney of the home backed up and caused a fire that got into the walls and attic.

Firefighters were able to knock the blaze down in about five minutes, and no injuries were reported.

The Gainesboro firefighter, who said the family was out of the home by the time crews arrived, estimated damage to the structure to cost about $13,000 and damage to contents at about $3,000.

“[The fire] was mostly contained to around the chimney,” he said.

Gore, Reynolds Store and Round Hill volunteer fire and rescue companies assisted Gainesboro at the scene.

— Contact Melissa Boughton at mboughton@winchesterstar.com