Four area houses on garden tour
Winchester — Visitors may tour more than 250 of Virginia’s gardens, homes and historic landmarks during the 80th Historic Garden Week.
This statewide event provides an opportunity to see gardens at the peak of Virginia’s springtime color.
There are four area locations on the tour this year — 601 Dulles Circle, 1022 Heth Place, 1061 Breckenridge Lane, and 549 Merrimans Lane.
The tour takes place from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and is sponsored by The Little Garden Club of Winchester and The Winchester-Clarke Garden Club.
Tour proceeds fund the restoration and preservation of Virginia’s historic gardens.
Tickets are $25 the day of tour, single-site admission $15, children ages 6-12 half price. Ages 5 and under free of charge.
Tickets may be purchased Saturday at any of the houses open for the tour and includes all four houses. Homes are not handicap-accessible.
Advance tickets for $22 are available at the following locations in Winchester or online at VAGardenweek.org — Winchester-Frederick County Visitor’s Center, 1400 S. Pleasant Valley Road; Classic Touch Interiors, 3038 Valley Ave.; Kimberly’s, 135 N. Braddock St.; Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, 901 Amherst St.; Simply Charming Boutique, 25 W. Piccadilly St., all in Winchester.
Complimentary tea will be served in the garden at 601 Dulles Circle from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
601 Dulles Circle
This is the home of Thomas J. and Joann Larsen.
In 1971, Charles Pine Sr. built a contemporary brick ranch with a columned front porch on the south edge of Winchester.
The original owner was the adopted son of J.P. Morgan. The house sits amid a 3-acre southern-style garden with white fences, dry-stack bluestone walls, and an arbor cloaked in wisteria.
Willow, crepe myrtles, magnolias, Japanese cherries and Leyland Cyprus add privacy, structure and color to this property that is adjacent to Kernstown Battlefield.
Formally cut boxwood and euonymus hedges create a cohesive design. The landscaping was planned and is maintained by the homeowners.
The interior architecture features enhanced ceilings with 1,800 lineal feet of hand-built crown moldings by the homeowner. Built in bookshelves and cabinets, and Oriental rugs lend a traditional feel to the decor. European and Asian art, collected on family trips abroad, as well as local art is displayed throughout the house.
1022 Heth Place
William “Billy” and Kathleen Quarles are the residents of the home.
Previously featured on the 2009 Historic Garden Week tour, this multilevel contemporary house built in 1997 has undergone extensive improvements to both the interior and exterior in the interim.
The foyer features a tapestry from Mont St. Michel, in Normandy, France. The interior includes a mahogany Chippendale settee, a round early 1800s pedestal table and a tall secretary in the family room. The landscaping features a new in-ground pool and pool house.
Backyard landscaping includes a lily pond with a bridge that leads to a flagstone patio. The peaceful setting backs up to a horse pasture. The exterior of the home is stucco and stone. An arch with stone columns now enhances the grand entrance of the home off of a circular drive.
A new sunroom overlooks the homeowner-maintained landscaping and the pool. The lower level includes a game room/media room with a wet bar. A brand new poolroom completes the family fun area.
1061 Breckinridge Lane
This is the home of David and Christy Chandler.
This French country style home built in 1993 is situated on a corner acre lot in Meadow Branch. The current owners made extensive renovations to the interior, pool and outdoor living spaces shortly after acquiring the property in late 2007.
Architectural highlights include cathedral ceilings and Palladian windows in the foyer and family room, granite and marble floors, and traditional millwork.
Furnishing includes an extensive collection of Henkel-Harris furniture, heirlooms and Mort Kunstler prints. Outdoor living space features a large deck with a covered porch and two patios. Two lion statues grace the end of a 24-foot by 42-foot in-ground pool.
Merrivue 549 Merrimans Lane
This is the home of Gerald F. “J.J.” and Kaye Smith.
This home was constructed in 1950 for Dr. and Mrs. James A. Miller.
Dr. Miller, a surgeon at the Winchester Memorial Hospital, was instrumental in founding the emergency room at Winchester Medical Center. The property straddles the City of Winchester and Frederick County. The front façade was modeled after Rose Hill, a Georgian home built around 1815 in Lexington, Ky.
The current owners purchased the home in 1999. The next year, they added both a south and north wing. A large terrace overlooks Round Hill, Petticoat Gap, Little North Mountain and Big North Mountain. The interior furnishings include heirlooms and beautiful artwork.
Of particular interest is a large collection of Lionel and O Gauge trains in the lower recreation room. The property also contains a large garage behind the home that houses a collection of classic Corvette automobiles from 1954 to 2010.
Previously featured on Historic Garden Week in 1975.