Soldiers from the 2nd Mississippi Regiment pass by the Taylor Hotel as they run north on North Loudoun Street in Winchester en route to Bunker Hill, W.Va. This image was published in the Aug. 3, 1861, issue of Harper’s Weekly Magazine.
Soldiers with the 3rd Wisconsin and 5th Connecticut regiments occupy Winchester near Fort Collier in April 1862. This image was produced by “Mr. Hall” and published in Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper. The occupation by Union troops marked the first time the town changed hands during the Civil War.
The painting “Jackson at Winchester” by William D. Washington depicts Confederate Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s entry to the city in May 1862. The scene is North Loudoun Street outside the Taylor Hotel (at left).
Mary Katherine McVicar, better known as “Kate,” was less than a week away from her 19th birthday when her life — and her hometown — was altered forever.
In 1901, McVicar wrote an article...