Local man’s home uninhabitable following fire

Posted: March 27, 2014

The Winchester Star

Firefighters from Clarke and Frederick counties respond to a house fire Wednesday afternoon on Old Waterloo Road, south of Boyce. (Photo by Scott Mason/The Winchester Star)

BOYCE — A local man’s home was badly burned Wednesday afternoon while he was at work.

Darrell Grant, 42, who lives in the home at 983 Old Waterloo Road with his girlfriend, said a neighbor called him to tell him that the house was on fire.

“[I was] shocked,” he said, standing outside as firefighters walked in and out of the charred residence.

Fire and rescue crews were called to the blaze around 12:45 p.m.

Boyce Volunteer Fire and Rescue firefighter Jeremy Lauck said that when crews arrived, there was smoke coming out of the front of the house and minimal fire.

It took about 10 to 15 minutes to get the blaze under control.

No injuries were reported. Lauck said neighbors called in the fire, and no one was home at the time.

Clarke County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Chief Travis Sumption said the cause was ruled accidental and was most likely electrical.

He added that the home was uninhabitable, but didn’t have any damage estimates.

“It was pretty extensively damaged,” Sumption said.

Grant has owned the home since 2003, when his grandmother passed away and left it to him, but has lived there his whole life.

As he stood watching firefighters continue to work Wednesday, he said he was devastated.

He said the bathroom, main living room and kitchen were badly burned.

Grant said he had family in the area who would be able to provide him with lodging and other help.

In addition to Boyce Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company and the Sheriff’s Office, Enders and Blue Ridge responded to the fire. Warren County and Millwood Station from Frederick County assisted.

— Contact Melissa Boughton at mboughton@winchesterstar.com