Man denied bail in alleged assault case

Posted: February 11, 2014

The Winchester Star

Lawrence Geisler III

WINCHESTER — A Cross Junction man was denied bond Monday after an alleged domestic assault Saturday at the George Washington Hotel in which he is also accused of brandishing an air rifle at law enforcement.

Lawrence Geisler III, 34, of the 1300 block of Collinsville Road, appeared Monday via video in Winchester Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, where his case was transferred from General District Court.

He is charged with domestic assault, abduction, brandishing a firearm and vandalism of telephone equipment, and remains at the Northwestern Regional Adult Detention Center.

Winchester Police Department spokeswoman Lauren Cummings previously said the alleged assault took place at about 9 p.m. at the hotel on East Piccadilly Street.

Geisler allegedly prevented the 30-year-old female victim from leaving a hotel room, Cummings said. He is also accused of disconnecting the phone line so she couldn’t call police.

The victim had two small children with her.

How Geisler, the woman and her children are related is being withheld to protect the victims’ identities.

According to a criminal complaint filed in the brandishing a firearm charge, a witness called 911 after seeing Geisler in the hotel with a gun.

The witness told police that he pointed the weapon at him.

Officers then set up on the third floor of the hotel and cleared rooms on the second and fourth floors, according to the complaint.

Geisler allegedly came out of his room with a gun in his hand, later identified as an air rifle, not a firearm.

Officers advised him to put the gun down, and he retreated to his room, before returning to the hallway, where they again told him to drop the weapon, according to the complaint.

He complied, but went back into his room, came back out and picked up the air rifle again, this time tossing it toward police.

Officers ordered Geisler to get on the floor and he went back to his room. He came out for a last time and was arrested.

The victim suffered an injury to her hand and was evaluated at the scene. She refused medical treatment, according to Cummings.

The incident remains under investigation.

— Contact Melissa Boughton at