Dr. David Powers points to his grandfather’s home Willow Lawn along Valley Pike. The photo was probably made in the 1920s; it faces north toward Winchester. The area is now occupied by Malloy Ford. The stone wall is similar to those that once lined the roadway; they prevented livestock being driven to market from straying into residents’ yards. (Photo by Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star)
ABOVE: The Hahn Mill was built by Isaac Hollingsworth in 1827 near Valley Avenue and its intersection with present-day Jubal Early Drive. It was spared from burning by Union troops, perhaps because the owner was a Quaker. It did burn in 1907.
LEFT: The Hillman Tollgate Plaza was on Valley Avenue at present-day Cedar Creek Grade in 1918. During the Civil War, Union Gen. Philip Sheridan paid the toll for him and his officers. The woman in charge counted the hundreds of troops marching at his back and billed the federal government for their tolls. She was eventually paid.
This artist’s sketch shows Kernstown (facing south on Valley Pike). Creekside Shopping Center now stands at the site of the building at right. At center is Beemer’s Tavern, which still stands.
Powers displays a photo of Willow Lawn and an old map of Valley Pike on the screen of his laptop computer.
For years, the emergency room physician has been collecting dozens of old photographs and maps of the…