Official: Discarded smoking materials were cause of fire

Posted: February 11, 2014

The Winchester Star

Firefighters are shown on the second floor porch at 402 S. Cameron St., where a fire broke out Monday afternoon. Fire and rescue units responded to a call of smoke showing from the second floor. (Photo by Ginger Perry/The Winchester Star)
Firefighters are shown on the scene of a structure fire that started on the second floor at 402 S. Cameron St. on Monday afternoon. (Photo by Ginger Perry/The Winchester Star)

WINCHESTER — City and Frederick County fire crews spent about two hours on Monday making sure the fire and smoke were out of two apartments on Cameron Street.

At 2:32 p.m., fire and rescue units responded to a call of smoke showing from the second floor of two adjoining apartments on the 400 block of South Cameron, according to Winchester Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Kevin Yost.

City crews from Friendship, Rouss, Shawnee and South End volunteer fire and rescue companies and county crews from Stephens City, Clear Brook, Greenwood and Millwood Station arrived on the scene.

The battalion chief of Frederick County Fire and Rescue was also present.

The companies were able to put the fire out in 15 minutes, but because of the building’s age and wooden structure, they spent a couple of hours cutting out the log to make sure the fire wasn’t in the walls. There were no injuries.

Yost said the blaze was caused by discarded smoking materials and started where the two buildings adjoined on the second-floor porch area.

He said he did not have a damage estimate, but four apartments in one building and one apartment in the other building are uninhabitable.

The fire remains under investigation.

— Contact Rebecca Layne at rlayne@winchesterstar.com