Out of the Past

Please login to view the requested resource.

Posted: January 14, 2013

J. Douglas Butler of Winchester took this photo of Green Chemical Co. Inc. at 448 N. Cameron St. in 1947 when he joined the company as general manager. The building on the left was Barr’s Hardware store. The Green Chemical Co. was founded in 1937 by local apple growers Ray Robinson Sr., J. Fred Thwait and Butler’s uncle, H. Ray Butler. In the 1960s, the company moved to 206 Wyck St. Butler retired in 1982, and soon thereafter the company ceased its chemical operations. The company’s former building has been torn down and the site is a vacant lot.

100 years ago

Five eclipses of the sun and moon will take place during the year 1913, but three of these will not be visible in the United States.

The first eclipse of the year will be the total…



To See This and Every Local Story from The Winchester Star, Click Here to Become a Subscriber!

Login to view the full story