Out of the past

Please login to view the requested resource.

Posted: September 3, 2013

This is the Stonewall High School baseball team in 1943. Sitting (from left) are: James Huyette, Robert W. Smith, Alson H. Smith Jr., Robert Driver, and Charles “Chick” DeHaven; kneeling are Roy W. Williams, Neil Driver, Leslie O. Pope, Eugene Funkhouser, and Elmer Nixon; standing are Lynn Carpenter, William “Billy” Lewis, James Hutton Jr., Robert “Bucky” Clevenger, and principal Bryant R. Harper. Edna Miller Melester, who provided this photo, graduated from Stonewall High School in 1943. Melester’s first cousins, Robert and Alson Smith, are pictured in the front row. Stonewall opened as a high school in 1941 and became an elementary school when James Wood opened in 1950. A new elementary school has been built in its place.

100 years ago

Supt. G.D. Brooke of the Shenandoah division of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, under whose direction many new and important improvements have been made to the company’s property,...



To See This and Every Local Story from The Winchester Star, Click Here to Become a Subscriber!

Login to view the full story