Winchester site of large tent hospital in Civil War

Please login to view the requested resource.

Posted: August 16, 2014

The Winchester Star

Sketch used with permission of The Western Reserve Historical SocietyArtist James E. Taylor was “embedded” with Union Gen. Philip Sheridan’s Army of the Shenandoah in the fall of 1864. Among many sketches he did of the sites of battles and people and places, is this depiction of the tent hospital that was erected southeast of Winchester after the Third Battle of Winchester. The hospital, which treated Union and Confederate wounded, began operations in September. This moment was captured on Thanksgiving Day, where Sheridan was present at a flag raising.
Town of Winchester, 1864, showing location of the hospital (abstracted from Gillespie 1873, Map of the Battlefield of WInchester, Sept. 19, 1864; Davis, Perry and Kirkley).

WINCHESTER — A handful of square-cut nails are a silent witness to what was in the fall of 1864 a huge hospital complex — all under canvas — that spread from Millwood Pike north to Mount Hebron...



To See This and Every Local Story from The Winchester Star, Click Here to Become a Subscriber!

Login to view the full story