Amerisist residents forced to evacuate
Posted: October 12, 2012
The Winchester Star
STEPHENS CITY — A local assisted living facility was evacuated Thursday afternoon when smoke filled a resident’s room.
Everyone inside Amerisist Assisted Living Residences east of Stephens City had evacuated by the time fire and rescue personnel arrived on the scene and no injuries were reported, according to Frederick County Fire Marshal Jay Bauserman.
He said the smoke came from an overheated motor in an air handler unit.
Fire personnel opened windows and doors to ventilate the facility at 110 Spanish Oak Road, and Amerisist was working to get maintenance on the scene to ensure the problem did not reoccur, he said.
Everyone was safely back in the building 30 minutes after fire and rescue personnel arrived on the scene, he added.
Stephens City, Middletown, Round Hill, Greenwood and Millwood fire and rescue companies from Frederick County, aided by all four Winchester companies, responded to the call, which came in at 4:27 p.m.
— Contact Conor Gallagher at firstname.lastname@example.org