Cochran’s Lumber fire labeled minor
Posted: February 8, 2013
The Winchester Star
BERRYVILLE — No one was injured Thursday and only minor damage was reported after a small fire at a local business.
Employees at Cochran’s Lumber and Millwork Inc. — located at 523 Jack Enders Blvd. in Berryville — noticed smoke in the business just before 11 a.m. and contacted fire and rescue crews.
“It was just a very small fire in our dust collection box,” said Rhonda Lamberson, who works in office administration.
According to the company’s website, they provide “high quality flooring and millwork for custom residential, commercial and historical preservation projects.”
Lamberson said the blaze — caused by a small spark — was put out quickly and did minor damage to some internal parts of the company’s dust collection system.
She added that the parts would need less than $5,000 worth of repairs and the system is expected to be fully up and running again by Monday.
Lamberson said that “the guys” were evacuated from the company’s shop as a precautionary measure, but that no one was injured.
“We have many, many safety procedures in place, so it was just routine,” she said.
Three fire and rescue companies responded to the fire, Lamberson said — adding that the business ordered each fire company a couple pizzas after they extinguished the blaze.
Firefighters at John H. Enders Volunteer Fire and Rescue Company were not immediately available for comment.
— Contact Melissa Boughton at firstname.lastname@example.org