Out of the Past ... from the archives of The Winchester Star

Posted: September 16, 2013

According to The Winchester Evening Star, the wedding of Ruth Manuel and Harold March on Sept. 18, 1926, was “one of the prettiest weddings of the early fall season.” Pictured (from left) are bridesmaids Cora and Ruth Newcome, best man Gov. Harry F. Byrd, the bridal couple, Ruth Manuel March and Harold C. March, and bridesmaids Hilda March and Virginia Tharpe. Harold worked in the linotype department of The Star, owned by Gov. Byrd. Frances March Luttrell of Winchester, who provided the photo, was married to Harold’s son, John, who was a reporter for The Star. John’s son, Larry, also worked for The Star as a supervisor in the mailroom.

100 years ago

Col. and Mrs. Oliver Bridgman, of New York City, who have been in Winchester for the past two weeks, entertained about 50 guests at a supper party and dance at Jordan’s White Sulphur Springs, northwest of town on Saturday evening.

The guests included a number of Winchester people and about 35 officers from the cavalry camp, with some of their wives and daughters.

After an old-fashioned Virginia supper there was dancing in the ballroom, the music being furnished by the orchestra from the Eleventh Cavalry Band.

Sept. 8, 1913

Festus Fletcher, son of Jacob H. Fletcher of this county, and Miss Mary Triplett, daughter of Ferdnand Triplett of near Trone, Frederick County, were married yesterday evening at 4 o’clock by the Rev. W.T. Walters, pastor of the Christian Church, in the presence of a few relatives and friends. The bride was dressed in white. Mr. and Mrs. Fletcher are spending their honeymoon at the Winchester Fair. They will make their home on a farm near Trone.

Sept. 11, 1913

An entertainment that takes high rank among many notable social functions that have taken place in Winchester this summer was the reception and dance last night at “Hawthorne,” given by Dr. and Mrs. Emmet C. Stuart in honor of their niece Miss Genevieve Elly of Jeannette, Pa. “Hawthorne,” one of the most charming homes near Winchester, is an ideal place for a large entertainment, with its spacious and handsomely appointed rooms, its wide verandas and its commanding situation, and Dr. and Mrs. Stuart provided for their guests that old-fashioned Virginia hospitality that is known the world over and that is often emulated elsewhere, but seldom attained.

Sept. 12, 1913

The new stained-glass windows recently ordered from the Von Gretchen Art Glass Co. of Columbus, Ohio, by the congregation of Market Street Methodist Episcopal Church have arrived, and they are now being installed by Mr. Hugh E. Miller, who is connected with the Columbus Company.

There are 23 windows in all, and the majority are memorial windows donated by the relatives or friends of deceased members of the church and each is of a beautiful emblematic design. The glass is of the best quality and the pieces are put together with lead.

The largest window, which is in the front of the church, is designed to represent “The Good Shepherd,” and on one side is a window representing “Alpha” while on the other side is one called “Omega.”

Sept. 12, 1913

A gown of flimsy material, which evidently had been treated to a phosphorous wash, worn by Miss Beresford, caused much excitement in Carlisle, Pa.

The gown was diaphanous and had a glow that gave an ethereal appearance to the young woman as she tripped boldly around the principal streets, accompanied by a stalwart escort.

A mob followed her. Churchgoers paused on their way to evening services and many of them joined the throng. A motorman and conductor abandoned their car and followed, as did the passengers.

The glow-worm gown lighted Miss Beresford’s graceful form, and the crowd, silent, but watchful, pressed closer. Two policeman tried to turn back the spectators but were brushed aside.

Sept. 14, 1913

75 years ago

Replacing three of the familiar red front stores, the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co. will open their big supermarket at 116 N. Braddock St. tomorrow morning.

A large, modern building, erected for the purpose, with ample space for a huge stock of merchandise was receiving final touches this afternoon in preparation for the opening.

Merchandise may be placed in market baskets equipped with wheels, eliminating the necessity of carrying packages and enabling the shopper to hurry, if they wish, or to shop leisurely. When the shopping tour is completed, the baskets are wheeled to the checking counters where the purchases are totaled on an adding machine and an itemized receipt is given the customer.

Officials of the company stated today that prices for merchandise at the supermarket will be considerably lower than formerly.

Sept. 7, 1938

Frederick County teachers assembled for their first meeting of the school year, this morning elected R.E. Aylor, principal of the Stephens City High School, president of their association to succeed O.W. Wake, principal of Middletown High School, who resigned.

Stewart Bell, principal of the high school at Gore was elected vice-president to succeed Paul Behrens, who resigned as principal there during the past summer.

Superintendent Kline informed the teachers that the school board has passed a resolution permitting pupils 12 years of age or older to be excused for two weeks only to assist their parents in orchards or on farms, if necessary. This may be for any two-week period that best suits for the children to be employed.

Sept. 14, 1938

50 years ago

Several persons met recently in the Handley Library auditorium to discuss plans for a Friends of the Library group. Their primary aim is to form an organization to raise funds for library equipment which cannot be purchased with regular appropriations. Librarian David Rowland outlined the library’s most pressing needs for equipment and furnishings. Among the items he mentioned were a new movie projector and screen and a piano for the auditorium.

The new group decided to begin a fundraising project immediately and elected to sponsor a benefit performance of the Bark Mill Theater’s next production, “The Pleasure of His Company.”

Sept. 10, 1963

25 years ago

Since about 1975, Esther Boyd has been asking the Frederick County Board of Supervisors for a new animal shelter to replace what she calls the “old chicken coop” off Sulphur Springs Road.

Her persistence has paid off. Boyd, family members, friends and county officials dedicated a new shelter in her name Friday.

The Esther L. Boyd Animal Shelter is near the Frederick County Sanitary Landfill on Route 719. It will be open in about one week.

Boyd, 69, was born and raised in Frederick County and has cared for animals all her life.

Boyd said she remained composed during the ceremony in her honor, until the officials gave her a plaque.

That’s when “I turned into a basket case,” she said.

Sept. 12,1988

— Compiled by Priscilla Lehman (plehman@winchesterstar.com)