WINCHESTER — In addition to the condos at The Fort, the following sites are also included on Preservation of Historic Winchester’s 42nd annual Holiday House Tour:

the Centre Meeting House at 203 N. Washington St. Built in 1872, it is one of two historic Quaker meeting houses in the area;

323 Fairmont Ave., a 1895 house designed by Baltimore-based architect Joseph Evan Sperry and now owned by Jay Smith and Allison Young.

On Saturday only, members of the local French and Indian War Foundation dressed in period clothing will give exterior tours at 419 N. Loudoun St., site of the northwest quadrant earthworks of George Washington’s Fort Loudoun. These history guides will discuss the numerous period artifacts found around the fort’s 103-foot-deep well excavated at Washington’s orders.

PHW is trying a new schedule this year. Instead of the tour taking place on one afternoon, visitors can tour the sites from 1 to 5 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday. One ticket can be split across the two days if you want to take your time touring the sites.

PHW’s Bough and Dough Shop opened on Nov. 16 and will remain open through Dec. 9 at the Hexagon House, 530 Amherst St.

The shop is a boutique-style holiday gift store offering handmade items such as pottery and baskets, greenery, wreaths and baked goods.

Tickets

Tickets are $20 in advance and $25 at the door. Tickets are valid for either day or may be split across both days.

Advance tickets can be purchased at The Final Yard, Kimberly’s, Winchester Book Gallery, Winchester-Frederick County Visitors Center, and the Bough & Dough Shop at the Hexagon House.

Refreshments

Light refreshments will be available at 203 N. Washington, 323 Fairmont Ave., and 411 N. Loudoun on Saturday and Sunday.

Guided tours

Guided walking tours will also be offered. Choose from two routes. In the first route, meet a guide at the Centre Meeting House, 203 N. Washington St., to walk along the 200 to 300 block of Fairmont Avenue, ending at 323 Fairmont Ave., the home of Jay Smith and Allison Young.

The second route, starts at the Bank of Clarke County at 202 N. Loudoun St. and travels north on Loudoun Street passing the newly renovated condominiums at the Fort and then onto the Well at 419 N. Loudoun St. Last guides leave at 4 p.m.

Look for tour guides near the Bank of Clarke County at 202 N. Loudoun, Centre Meeting House at 203 N. Washington, and near the Peyton Street intersections.

Patsy Cline House

Although not on the PHW tour, the Patsy Cline Historic House at 608 S. Kent St. will offer free tours from 1 to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday and from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.